Ready to learn how to use an infrared sauna at home? Saunas can be used for detox, cancer treatment, weight loss, better skin, pain relief and more. The protocol for use depends on your goals.
Quicklinks to Information On This Page:
Before moving on to doing anything else, you may want to complete a couple of preliminary steps. A few of the essentials you’ll need to do before getting in the IR sauna include:
- Warm up the sauna: choose the right temperature depending on your heat tolerance and your goal. When it comes to infrared sauna use, most people opt for temperatures in the range from 100 to 140 degrees. People who are just getting started with the sauna should stick to lower temperatures and do a gradual increase.
- Prepare your towels: you’ll need a towel to sit on and to absorb the sweat that will be coming out of your body.
- Drink water before going inside: the aim of sauna treatments is to encourage profuse sweating. This is why it’s a good idea to drink enough water beforehand. If you need to, take some water in the sauna with you.
Now that you know the preliminaries, let’s take a look at the protocols you’ll have to follow in order to address a specific problem that you’re dealing with.
The detox protocol is one of the most popular infrared sauna uses. By sweating, you’re getting rid of toxins and impurities that can otherwise be stored in the body. To maximize the detox effect, use your home infrared sauna two to three times per week.
Infrared saunas are more efficient than the traditional steam saunas when it comes to detox. The infrared heating technology causes the body to sweat more, which results in the elimination of significant amounts of toxic buildup.
There are three essentials to stick to when doing the infrared sauna detox protocol:
- Always drink water or a beverage that contains electrolytes before going in the sauna
- Stay in the sauna for no more than 30 minutes unless directed by a doctor (beginners should start with a smaller period to test their heat tolerance)
- Get out of the sauna and have 10 minutes of additional relaxation
To fully detoxify your body, you may want to wait a few hours before consuming a meal. Keep on drinking water to replenish the fluids that you’ve just lost.
The detox protocol is very simple to follow and if you’re consistent with it, you’ll soon start seeing changes. Chances are that your skin will clear up, once you’ve gotten rid of the toxic buildup. Do the detox protocol two times per week in the beginning. When you start feeling more confident, rely on your IR home sauna three times per week.
The use of an infrared sauna can be an effective way to attack cancer cells and is used by many patients to fight this deadly disease. (Click here to learn about how it is used for cancer treatment.) Many people have had amazing success! However, you should check with your doctor or oncologist before starting sauna therapy for cancer to determine the best protocol to attack your cancer cells and complement other therapies.
The long-term use of an infrared sauna can help you lose weight (and no, we’re not talking about the water weight that you can lose immediately).
If weight loss is your main goal, you should use the sauna three times per week. Results can be expected within eight to 12 weeks of getting started with the protocol. Several studies suggest that the use of the infrared sauna can be compared to some gentle exercise. When combined with a healthy lifestyle, the weight loss protocol will deliver noticeable results.
The principle is simple – the infrared sauna increases the body’s core temperature. As a result, the organism is forced to work hard in an attempt to cool itself down. In the process, calories will be burned.
Just like in the case of the detox protocol, start with two instead of three sessions per week. In the first weeks, stick to 10, 15 minutes of sauna use. As you get more accustomed to the heat, you can increase the amount of time that you spend inside the sauna to 30 minutes.
The ideal temperature for weight loss is higher. If you can tolerate 140 degrees, you will get pronounced results. Start with a lower temperature and increase the heat with every coming session. Soon, you’ll feel comfortable enough at a higher thermostat reading.
Since you’ll be using the sauna at maximum heat, drink a lot of water while you’re inside. Apart from getting to lose some weight, you will also be detoxifying your organism by replacing sweat with pure H2O.
The final tip to remember is to use the sauna after an exercise session. By working out before entering the infrared sauna, you’ll definitely be getting faster results. The sauna can help you relax and it will also prolong the period during which you’ll be burning calories after the workout.
The detox protocol will give you cleaner, healthier and more radiant skin. If your primary focus is skin rejuvenation, however, you should follow a different protocol.
Once again, the infrared sauna should be used three times per week. When it comes to skin health, the session should continue approximately 15 to 20 minutes. You don’t need the high temperature that will be required to get weight loss results. Circulation will improve and you’ll get the skin rid of impurities at approximately 100 to 110 degrees.
To get best results, you may want to follow some of those additional tips during the execution of the protocol:
- Drink a lot of water before entering the sauna and avoid the consumption of alcoholic beverages while you’re doing the protocol
- Wash your face before entering the sauna, especially if you’ve just had an exercise session
- Don’t do a treatment if you have sensitive skin or if you’re experiencing some kind of skin irritation
- You may want to apply some green tea product to your skin before entering the sauna
- Always wash and exfoliate the skin after you get out of the sauna
- Apply your favorite moisturizing cream
An infrared sauna is ideal for chronic pain sufferers and for the active athletes. Many types of aches will become manageable through the selection of the right pain relief protocol. For effective pain management, use the sauna at least two times per week for a therapeutic period of six weeks.
A study from Japan suggests that having infrared sauna therapy for 15 minutes, at least two times per week, will reduce the fibromyalgia pain by up to 78 percent. The patients underwent the sauna therapy for a period of three months to get such pronounced results.
In addition, infrared sauna protocols for pain reduce the pain and stiffness linked to arthritis, the ones stemming from athletic injuries and other types of chronic pain.
To make the most of the pain management protocol, remember to follow these basic steps:
- Have a 15 minute infrared sauna session at least two times per week
- Choose the temperature that you feel comfortable with – there are no specific requirements
- Drink liquids throughout the stay in the sauna – they’ll help you sweat more, plus water is essential for joint lubrication
- After getting out of the sauna, wrap yourself in a warm blanket and relax for 30 additional minutes (it’s very important to keep the heat inside your body, hence the blanket)
- Continue drinking a lot of water even after the session is over
These are just a few of the infrared sauna protocols that you can test in the comfort of your own home. Before getting started with any program, make sure that you’re perfectly healthy. Having a consultation with your doctor is essential for the selection of the right protocol and it will also help you rest assured that you’re completely safe when it comes to subjecting your body to high heat.
- Far Infrared Sauna Reviews and Recommendations
- Using Far Infrared Saunas for Cancer Treatment
- Does Far Infrared Sauna Detox Therapy Work?
JNH Lifestyles Joyous 4 Person Far Infrared SaunaRetail price
- 9 Carbon Fiber Far Infrared Heaters
- Double layer Canadian Hemlock T&G timber
- Built-in AUX control and 2 Premium Speakers
- 5 Year Warranty
Dynamic Saunas Venice 2-Person SaunaRetail Price
- 6 Low EMF FAR Infrared Carbon Heating Panels
- Natural Reforested Canadian Hemlock
- MP3 Auxiliary Connection
- Limited warranty
Radiant Saunas Portable SaunaRetail Price.
- 3 ETL low EMF carbon fiber heating panels
- Durable moisture resistant satin polyester material
- No conflicts with music devices
- 5 Year Warranty